Any tips to getting ahead without appearing too pushy? I’m bored with my job and I’m looking to find a more satisfying one within the same organization. I love what I do and I know I could make more money and take on more responsibility, but I lack the confidence to push ahead.
When I asked a colleague higher up on the food chain for advice, he said to keep my nose to the grindstone, but he didn’t say how long it would be before I’d see results. I’m taking classes after work and on weekends to strengthen my skills. What more should I be doing? Should I look for another job and quit?
- Don't quite until you have another job.
- Don't make excuses for mistakes and negligence.
- Don't wait for permission to act, steam ahead.
- Don't be a know-it-all when your boss is older.
- Don't look for unwanted attention.
- Don't duck conflict.
- Don't be needy for praise.
- Don't put off tasks.
- Don't pass judgment on others.
- Don't let a lack of resources get in your way.
- Don't act too laid-back and comfortable.