You may also be interested in:
Really Awful Downfall of Presidential Standards and Behavior
It wasn’t that long ago when Republicans were bashing Obama for not having presidential manners. It appears that they’ve lowered their standards for the current occupant of the Oval Office. The alt right press used photos of Obama and his aids playing pickup games of basket ball or touch football on the White House lawn to illustrate his lack of appropriate presidential behavior.
It’s true whether shooting pool or bowling, Obama cannot contain his competitive nature, but at least he works it out in a healthy manner. And when photos of him in shirt sleeves appeared, Andrew Card, President George W. Bush’s chief of staff, criticized Obama to the press saying, “Wear a suit coat and tie.”
Do you agree that it is disgraceful how this country has lost dignity through its deterioration of manners and etiquette spiraling downward in this current administration?
–MC, Washington, DC
The standard of presidential behavior has deteriorated in the disgraceful Trump administration to rock bottom when the president of the United States gets away with mocking foreign leaders and calling them despicable nicknames. He's not even criticized for calling for the firing of a "son of a bitch."
Don't get me started:
- While playing golf Trump criticizes the mayor of a city underwater from a catastrophic hurricane for "poor leadership." The rest of the world refers to it as a "Medical Crisis," because "The Whole Island Is Critical."
- To make it worse, without compassion Trump adds insult to injury by complaining that the victims of the hurricane "want everything to be done for them."
- Further to the insult, after throwing paper towels at the victims, he tells them they should be "very proud" that only 16 victims died already.
- Whether he's attacking a senator battling cancer or making reference to a supreme court justice as a "judicial prostitute," his behavior is despicable.
- He stoops so low as to call transgender children part of "Satan's plan." Come on...
- What's presidential about calling the White House "a real dump"? And inviting to the Oval Office a friend who threatened to assassinate President Obama and called him a "subhuman mongrel"? Don't forget, Trump called his opponent a "worthless bitch?" Really, who talks like that? Certainly not the president? Even if he is calling for an investigation of his opponent seven months after winning the election.
- At tax payers' expense, Trump spends one day in three promoting his properties where a photo of him on the cover of Time magazine applauding his business successes is hung on the walls. How tacky is that?
- He shows no respect whatsoever for the survivors of victims of 9/11 and the 20 school children who were massacred in Newtown, CT., by awarding press credentials to a website that claims both incidents were "a hoax."
- Mocking the mayor of London for his cautious, serious reaction to a terrorist attack, doesn't win us friends abroad.
- Nor does hogging a photo opportunity with another head of state by shoving him aside during a NATO meeting in Brussels.
- Did you know that it is a known fact that Trump is caught in a lie on an average of more that five times a day?
Between the tweeting addiction, compulsive lying, firry war and peace rhetoric, meddling with prosecutorial independence, incendiary campaign rallies disguised as presidential addresses, etc., all are breaches of the unofficial etiquette of presidential manners.
*Many thanks to the New York Times
for recent editorials on this subject.