My girlfriend complains that I’m always mansplaining. She also complains that her brothers and father mansplain. We left her parents’ home after her family’s Thanksgiving dinner quarreling about mansplaining. Please explain. I think I need help.
- Don't interrupt or finish someone else's sentence. Listen. The person who thinks he is the most powerful is more likely to interrupt the other person by showing off his social power and prowess.
- When someone interrupts another person, the interrupter assumes his intellectual abilities are superior.
- When mansplaining, the man voices the fact that he thinks he is more knowledgeable and intelligent than the woman; when in fact he may be mansplaining because she is the one with more intellectual abilities, and that makes him feel insecure.
- Instead say, "Right" or "Got it."
- When you say, "I know" in response, you may think it means you'e agreeing with what she just said. However, more often than not, your tone probably sounds condescending.