What exactly are the etiquette rules for vaping?
When and where is it acceptable to vape? My boyfriend, a former Marlboro man, seems to think he can vape anywhere. As a non-vapor myself, this has become a source of discontent and argument.
–Madelyn, Cleveland, Ohio
- Never ever in bed.
- Nor in a ticket line.
- Not during a job interview.
- Not in the presence of children.
- Always honor 'no smoking' signs in restaurants and public transportation.
- The worst never, is never in an elevator, car or other confined space.
- Don't when you see a no smoking sign such as those outside a hospital, theatre, shopping mall, airport terminal or office building.
- As your boyfriend is a former tobacco smoker, cut him a bit of slack. It's a social minefield, and you both have my sympathy.
- If you want to work it out, you will. After all, in romance, vaping is a matter of consideration on both sides.
- We all have our bad habits. You either put up with his habit or move on.
- Always ask first. Most public spaces make their policy known.
- That said, do find out about a hotel's policy before booking, because you can be fined if the smell of smoke is detected in your room -- no matter how sweet it is.
- Do consider that if your boyfriend is an ex-tobacco smoker, vaping has far less toxicity.