Don’t chat me up with brain-picking. If you want my advice on your funding project, pay me for my advice. When a line is crossed between friendship and brain-picking how do I suggest that I need to be compensated, even by my existing clients?
In particular, a former grad school classmate, who is not a client and a new client, who thinks I should be at his beck and call. Billable consulting services are available, you can’t consult me for free!
How to ask for a monetary reward when someone picks your brain?
- If you don't want to suggest weekends or evenings, propose a Friday afternoon when most people are generally not as busy.
- Should the person want to talk sooner or at a more convenient time for them, let him or her know they will have to pay for your time.
- A phone chat is invariably more amenable to being kept short.
- When scheduled for a brain-picking session do a bit of homework so you can share a few ideas.
- Make the phone appointment for "brain thinking time."