We’re worried about our daughter who doesn’t go out much. She has a fear of going out whether to school or to the mall to meet friends. We’re wondering if this is normal. She has an allowance, but buys everything she needs on line with a debt card.
We think she spends too much time alone in her room on her laptop.
How do we encourage her to socialize more?
–Name and location withheld
- Only a third of the girls feel pressure to live the 'perfect' llfe online.
- Only 47% feel their parents understand pressures they face on social media.
- How pictures of them will be used by others
- Threats from strangers
- Comparing themselves and their lives to others
- Seeing unwanted pornography
- Bullying from people they know
- 54% of girls aged 11-21 have come across unwanted violent or graphic images online that made them feel upset or disturbed.
- 95% of girls aged 11-21 said the advertising industry should make sure adverts show more positive, diverse representations of girls and women.
- 57% of girls aged 11-21 don’t think politicians understand the issues girls and young women face today.
- 76% of girls aged 7-21 feel confident in digital skills.