My best friend says that I cannot wear my new knockout red dress to an upcoming wedding because it is not appropriate wedding guest dress code attire to wear a bright red dress. Red is my color and the style is my lucky style!
Why does she think I shouldn’t wear a red dress to our mutual friend’s wedding? It’s a beautiful bright and happy dress!
–Lucy, Newport, RI
- There are not as many dos and don'ts to wedding dress code etiquette as you might expect, but wearing a red dress is at the top of the list.
- A red dress at any wedding is a distraction. By wearing a red dress you would be saying to those assembled, "Look at me!"
- Going into fall and winter the colors, burgundy, wine, cranberry, blush, ruby and berry would all be more subtle shades of red. Stay away from bright red, rose, scarlet, candy red, and crimson.
- All eyes should be on the bride on her wedding day.
- It would be incredibly rude to try to upstage the bride on her special day.