–Socially Ignorant in Manhattan
- Wear a collared long sleeve shirt, and if required, a freshly presses coat (jacket) and tie.
- Shine those leather shoes.
- Clip those nasty fingernails, floss those teeth and check for debris in your mustache and beard.
- You think that nobody will notice the coffee stain on your shirt, but they will.
- After all, you don’t want to be the object of a coworker’s affections while auditioning for advancement in the company.
- Bringing a plus one means you’re either insecure or you aren’t interested in widening your circle of associates so, circulate and socialize.
*Do be sure to snack before the party so you’re not caught by your boss at the groaning board with a mouth too full to talk.
- The snack will have coated your stomach if you’ve had too much to drink.
- Pace yourself by drinking a glass of water before imbibing every alcoholic drink.
- Or find a grouping of more than two people.
- It can be annoying when someone starts pumping your hand.
- If your hands are naturally sweaty, brush your palms against your side to dry them.
- It’s an especially polite thing to do when you’re not sure who knows whom.
- Act smart at an office party by asking your coworkers about themselves, their families, and holiday plans,
- You can even use the opportunity to set up a work related conversation over lunch or on a call at another time.
- Many of us simply don’t enjoy talking shop at the shop while attending a social gathering, so ask for their calling card or offer yours to them. Look at theirs earnestly before making a comment and placing it on you or in your bag.
Do be a friendly guest but Don’t publicly paw all over somebody — no matter how well you know them or how much you like them. Most important:
- Not everyone likes to be pawed over in public.
- After the six second handshake, keep your hands to yourself.
- Resting your hand on someone’s shoulder or holding them around the waist at an Office Party could make the recipient of your affection feel extremely uncomfortable.
- BroHugs should be fast — as in the Obama hug.
- Kisses are best stopped as a quick peck on the cheek.
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Accepting A Compliment