Newport Flower Show — June 23-25
We girls are taking a day trip to the Newport Flower Show and want to be prepared by knowing what to expect ahead of time. Like, how do we dress?
–Julia, Cohasset, MA
You girls will have a delightful experience at the Newport Flower Show! However, expect to do a lot of walking. Even though there is a free of charge trolly ride of several blocks from Chateau-sur-Mer, where you’ll be parking, to Rosecliff, you will spend a fair bit of time on foot.
- Wear sensible shoes and I don’t mean flip-flops.
- Gladiator sandals, ballerina flats, and espadrilles are fine.
- But stiletto heels will sink into the grass and possibly catch the wearer off guard with a tumble.
Outdoor flower shows are all about the hats. You will definitely need to wear a hat or, at the very least, a pretty visor.
One of the first booths you’ll see on the back lawn of Rosecliff that faces the sea is LILO. Where the renowned milliner Lisa Stubbs sells her fabulous hats.
For thirty years Lisa’s designs of headpieces, boaters, chapeaus, fascinators (decorative headbands), and visors, have been the status quo of Newport’s summer season.
Whether you’re searching for the de rigeur hat to flaunt at Ascot or Wimbledon, or to adorn for your daughter’s wedding ceremony, you’ll find it at LILO Hats.
- All headpieces are one-of-a-kind.
- Lisa’s specialties are her made-to-order original hats for that special occasion, as well as the simpler straw hats we wear everyday in the garden or at the beach.
Oh, yes, there are flowers to admire on display or buy, but that’s not what you were asking about.
- Ahead of time go online to look for the starting times of special events and lectures with a floral motif. No Newport Flower Show is the same.
- This June 23-25, the French garden theme prevails.